Thursday 6 May 2010

I have never felt so unintelligent in my entire life. Everything I do or say some british person either says the sassiest remark are gives a look of pity. Last night we went to a Shakespeare play, Macbeth, I asked the lady if they sold brownies at the little bakery shop. She smiled, tilted her head, did a little laugh and in a voice you would use to talk to a two year old she said, "oh you mean little cakes"... um yeah, sure, except the sign actually read 'moist brownie' so,who's the idiot now! Every time we go out to eat the waiter or waitress will say something along the lines of 'oh did you get enough to eat'? And we all know its because we are American. I want to be like ya know what buddy, I am not the fat one with bad teeth who cant learn to annunciate my words okay, thats you people! There are endless examples of how they just belittle us but I won't continue to bore you.

Carluccio's is a really cute little lunch place, almost equivalent to something like kneaders, only imagine kneaders in the city with pasta dishes. It was actually quite a tasty little dinner after a long day of walking. One thing that is really making me sad is the charge 1.25 pound for tap water... so pretty much I am parched all the time. Drinking fountains are far and few between. I think it might be a good idea to invest in some sort of reusable water bottle.




We went to Trafalgar square the other day. There were so many neat monuments and incredible
buildings. We would ask our professor Rick about all of them and every time he would reply to us with some colorful answer that basically told us to go read the damn sign... well, gees, I did think you were getting payed to be here for us but... maybe not!



So now we just ask Rick everything we possibly can think of,'Hey Rick,
how often do they paint these white
buildings, what are they building over there, what kind of fish are in the water, do they like diet coke here, do you know what that sign means...' He loves making up dumb answers and then laughing. It brings everyone a great amount of joy. I can't figure out how to move this picture, but it was while we were walking around the London Eye. It was just a picture of serenity to me. The carousel was playing chiming music, children were laughing with balloons tide to their little wrist and classic ice cream cones all over their faces, parents sat on benches and waved feverishly as their beloved child went round and round on a decorated, plastic horse. And to top it off a mime danced in the pathway to entertain us all.

These pictures of me and the girls on the lion are really comical. I am not sure if climbing on the statue of the Duke is aloud, but we are

just dumb Americans so what do we know. ;) Also, I wish the picture represented more accurately how high up the statue sits. It was so hard to get up the slippery bronze monster though! And I couldn't swing my leg around because my pants would have split. Not because my butt is to big but because the dang lions is. So, although it may appear I am struggling, it's not me, its him!!

Walking down by the London Eye was so beautiful, the weather was fantastic. Sunniest it has been for us, we were squinting our eyes and kelsey told us she had sunglasses but she didn't want to put them on because her squinting reminded her that it was warm and she needed to appreciate the glorious moment. We found the coolest skate park in the world. And I would be willing to argue that if someone can find one they think is better. It was covered in the neatest graffiti, it is weird how something so destructive can be so beautiful to look at. You have to admit these artist (I do believe they are artist) are really quite talented.



We couldn't get very many shots of the park though because there were some pretty scary skate boarding dudes zipping back and forth. They didn't love us running up and trying to take pictures. Pretty sure they wouldn't have had a problem running us over if we were in their way.




















Shakespeare Play...
Macbeth, it is a fine play, really it is. However, I would have liked to enjoy the play in a little different atmosphere. The Globe Theater is amazing. The replica is outstanding with its ornate paintings and bold colored, scrolled wood works. The only thing that was not amazing was standing for FOUR HOURS in the cold, windy amphitheater while people all above us sat in cushiony seats. But, it wasn't just like oh lets stand and chill here. It was more lets stand with our heads through this weird black cloth and not move or make a sound while we watch the weirdest play ever directed. Not to mention I couldn't understand half the stuff the actors were saying because yelling slash talking in a sing song british accent really doesn't catch on that quickly. Another problem I happen to have was my height. I was so short that my head didn't pop out of the black tarp thing (which didn't put me into much of a tizzy because I kept thinking of all the nasty germs on the tarp touching my neck and head. shivers.), inhibiting me from seeing anything other then the ugliest dwarf witch that would come around and poke people. Luckily a few of us were able to move back and lean against the railing of the seated people (yeah, we had to stand to get the "experience" of being a groundling, and we have to have that experience 3 more times..). That was a heck of a lot better then standing in strangling tarp but not by much. The second you started to slouch or make any sudden movement you better bet your bottoms dollar that the overzealous security lady would snap her finger at you or oh so kindly ask you to please stop taking photos in the theater.... At one point I even wished I had a cigarette to smoke so that when people saw me leaving and sitting out side they wouldn't judge me as much for leaving the play they would just think ' oh poor girl, she is addicted to nicotine', horrible thought I know.

Apology for all the negative talk. The play its self was really lovely. The actors were awesome and it was very well directed. There was a feeling that the people really loved their job and had a great respect for shakespeare. It was a grand play choice for us to see since it is currently the play we are studying in my Shakespeare class. It also helped that the man who played Macbeth made me feel like a popsicle on a warm summer day. His body might be the only that that got me to stand on my tip toes to try and see more.... actually, his body is the only thing that got me to even stay awake.
This is just a little picture of me and Kelsey posing in front of some water with the London Bridge in the background. I really have seen and participated in a lot of neat events. I love it! I just keep thinking, 'wow, people live here, that lady right there, this is her life, I am so jealous'. I used to tell my mom I wanted to live in a place where they have a 'Gap' on the street, now I want to tell my mom, "Mom I want to live someplace that people come and study". I am loving every awkward moment we have here. The people are so quite. That or I never realize how loud I am. Last night we went and got a chocolate bar from what would be like a circle K in America and I asked the cashier what the best chocolate bar was, he looked at me like I was crazy and told me he had no idea... I just said, really, have you tried any of them, just tell me one... It's not like I would know the difference :)
I feel so blessed to be able to come on such an amazing adventure like this. I appreciate my Dad immensely for providing me with the funding do to extraordinary things. I love my family for supporting me and for all the e-mails I receive. Skype is a miracle of an invention. It has made being home sick so much less of a concern. I am lucky and appreciative of my manager Cori for letting me take this long leave from work and assuring me with a position when I return! Thank you to everyone. I have so much to say and not enough time to say it all, and I don't think any of you have the time to read it all!
Love-- em

1 comment:

  1. sounds fun! we didn't have that tarp thing when we went to the play...sounds kinda gross.

    ReplyDelete