Sunday 9 May 2010

The Real Holy Water

What a splendid weekend! Much to update on. Traveling up the lush countryside in a creaky old bus with a mad man driver was just the beginning of our beautiful journey. Though It was quite possibly my favorite part. Winding around the brightly green and yellow fields we saw fat, lazy cows grazing in pastures, fluffy lambs cozied up to their downy-soft moms and classic picturesque houses. It was so peaceful.
Our First destination was Bath. I didn't know a ton of history on this location, so I wasn't to sure what to expect. Oh what a lovely little surprise it was. It was fabulous. Not only was it just so impressive but educational as well. The information given was actually worth listening to. Crazy that people so long ago could build such magnificent structures that last for so long. I wonder if they knew the importance they had on the
world.
Each day the water fills to the top of the bath (of course I can't remember exactly how many gallons or how hot it really is). In ancient times the excess water that filled would go into the kings bath and to be used through out the house. In todays world it is used to drink.... kind of. You can purchase some of the 'holy mineral water' for about 50 pence (an american dollar). My group received it for free though with some special pass, and pass I wish I had done. Nastiest holy water I have ever put into my body, by far! It was warm, salty water that tasted like blood (iron really). Chugging the entire luke warm glass I wished it would bring me youth and prosperity. All it brought me was an upset stomach and a diminished appetite.

The city of Bath was one that would be seen in a Angelina Jolie film. Set high up on a hill overlooking a crystal river, old cobble stone roads and breath taking cat
hedrals. We had a few hours to spend gawking at the sights. Who knew one of those sights was amazing shopping? I was so tempted to just spend the day slipping in and out of overly priced french boutiques. My moral conscious wouldn't allow it though, it knew the regret I would feel if I had missed out on swans gracefully gliding along the river or seeing the royal circus (a group of famous ancient buildings built in a perfect circle). The day, aside from the bitter,whispering wind was as delightful and magical as the day the tulips bloom and spring begins to blossom through out the land

2 comments:

  1. I love it! I'm pretty sure this is where I have that picture of me twirling in the sun in the park. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha yeah, there could be no twirling. They said for some reason it was unusually cold that day. we were a little bit sad about it, we wanted so badly to twirl.

    ReplyDelete