Wednesday 9 June 2010

Cultured

A few of us were able to skip down to the National Gallery yesterday! It was marvelous planning on our part because the weather was slightly below average. No matter how excited you are spending the day in a museum is always hard when Mr. Sunshine is out and ready to kiss your face.
We got in trouble a few times, okay, more like I got in trouble a few times while at the gallery. Once I got straight yelled at by an asian woman for putting my ever so filthy hand past the red velvet rope of life. Another few times for taking pictures in clearly no photography zones.
The gallery aloud myself to put an over-sized X next to one of my last 'must do in London' list.
There were Monets, Van Goghs, Manet and Picasso paintings for us to gaze upon.
Pablo Picasso - Child with a Dove - Art Prints and Posters
But by far the most beautiful thing I have ever laid eyes on is this Leonardo Da Vinci drawing. It was amazing. The huge canvas sketch was done in black and white chalk,through the black and white smudges you could actually see so much emotion in all of the faces. It was so beautiful
We saw posters for an Opera playing that night in Trafalgar Square and decided to come back and peak in on all the festivities. So thrilled we did. It was one of those cultural experiences that enrich your life and put an extra cherry on all ready perfect sundae.

The famous opera Carmen was playing that night in the Royal Opera House. They set up a giant screen in the middle of the square then sectioned off seats (concrete slabs) for everyone to come and watch. All for FREE. I had no idea we were about to be treated to such a fabulous, romantic experience . Seeing the thousands of unique people gather round to watch such a famous opera as the sun was setting was heart warming. Sadly, we were responsible I didn't stay for the entire production. Homework beckoned and we answered the call.
There were people spilling out the sides and somehow we managed to find the perfect seat for three. The homeless man next to me seemed to be enjoying the show very much. I thought about how both of us were enjoying our selves so much. We were both sitting on the same ground, watching the same production yet getting totally different experiences out of it. It was cute to see some people all dressed up sitting in lawn chairs, drinking wine from a dixie cup.
I wasn't to sad we decided to leave early though. French singing is hard enough, french opera is a whole different ball-game. Though there were subtitles it was hard to fallow the provocative scenes and grasp what was actually happening. Another reason I justified leaving was fact that Carmen was so ugly... I didn't like sitting and watching and ugly, french, provocative, opera when I knew there was so much more I needed to accomplish.
We got off a few tube stops early to walk because it was so glorious out side. We found an "authentic" burrito place and couldn't dare walk away with out one of the shiny, tinfoil wrapped amazingness in our hands. They weren't even that fantastic but it was a burrito and that in its self made me smile.
So fun huh! Look at how all these people are just sitting on the ground. Never in a million years would I ever just go sit on the ground of a city. Put up some bars and a screen and I will gladly plop down though!
Here is the three of us with the big screen in the background!
Of course we have to end every night with a sweet!
I never thought I would love something so
WICKED!
Kels and I were able to go see wicked yesterday afternoon. What an amazing production! I have never seen it before and no one would fill me in on the story line. I was just told my world was going to be rocked.

Rocked it was! I loved it. Such a heartfelt production. Not only are the song lyrics beautiful but ever voice that sang them was incredible. I wish the talent of magic coming out of my mouth had been bestowed upon me!
Emerald City behind us!
Megan and Gavin left this morning! How crazy!! We went out to dinner last night after the show for their final meal here in London! Miss them already!
Yummy dinner! Kels is such a great date.
Hope everyone is having a great Wednesday!
xo
em

4 comments:

  1. I know, I thought about you when I purchased the little gem. I am terribly sorry! Just know that it would be REALLY short on your glistening legs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I didn't suck at blogging. All I know is that Monet's Parasol was not at the exhibit and neither was that Manet at the bottom right of the selection of paintings. I remember because those are two of my favorites and I searched for them. So cut this false advertisement out! Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gav, you have been on one lately!! Take your sassy pants of would ya!!

    ReplyDelete