Thursday 3 June 2010

Your shirt is on backwards, you must have had a really great night!

St. Paul must have been a pretty marvelous man. After going from one exquisite cathedral to the next cathedral during the duration of my trip I was reluctant to go to yet another costly house of worship. So appreciative to my sister, Brittany, who had an old blog post about the church that pushed my mind in a different direction. This magnificent building pulled my the living breath right out of me like no other church has done before.
There is a strict no photography policy but of course, rule breakers here, were able to slyly put the camera up to my chest and snap a shot. We just prayed that my heart (since that is where the camera was lying) would guide the little point and shoot to a lovely shot. Although, I admit my heart nearly failed us. It is still a decently taken shot for what we were working with.
Why is it that so often I find my self in these circumstances where I have no idea what I am getting my self into? St. Paul's has a stair case that takes you all the way to the tip top of the dome. It over looks the city in every direction giving you a truly stunning view of London. I however, had no idea that I would be walking up nearly 1,000 stairs to reach this lovely destination. Not just any kind of stairs though, they were twirly, swirly, unstable rod iron stairs that seemed to go on for a life time. Fine for someone who doesn't have a phobia of slipping, falling and not dying but rather crushing every body in their bone and having to endure the pain.
You can see below you every step you take. Increasing my heart rate, my sweat glands and NBF (family, you know). I was so petrified, I couldn't look up because I saw the never ending stairs, I couldn't look down because I saw my pile of bones through the whole infused rod iron stairs and I especially couldn't look side to side because I was so nauseous at the entire experience . I couldn't stop though. Not only was it a one way stair case but in my heart of hearts I knew I was fine, I also knew that the biggest regret would loom over my life if I didn't take my fear by the horns and make it to the top to least peek my head out to see all that glistened and gleamed below my sweaty feet. I personally enjoy the photo below because I didn't know kelsey was taking it. It shows my true feelings and accurately depicts my hugging of the wall.
Taking the last step out of the stairwell you are pushed onto this balcony that has a diameter of practically nothing. It was so small 2 people couldn't pass by it at the same time with out one of them leaning against the railing or wall. This forced me to be ever so close to the edge at all times. Honestly I go to the top of the stairs with my entire body shaking in fear and the second worse thing that could happen did. Tears. For no reason I just had delicate little tears running down my searing face. Kelsey laughed, rationalized all my thoughts and held my hand as I took the final step onto the threatening platform. As she skipped and danced around I hugged the wall closely and inched my way around the entire circumference. People were so genuinely concerned for me, asking me, and kelsey both if I was going to be okay.
As the minutes went on and I was able to see that I, along with every one else was still alive the experience became much more enjoyable. The view really was dazzling. I am so grateful I was once again put in a situation where I have the option to go forth and conquer my fears or turn and shun them. Just one more experience that has helped in making me a stronger, enhanced girl!
It was such a refreshing day :) Love and miss you all! Can't wait to tell you about Lion king.
xo
em

1 comment:

  1. Awesome I am glad you went there!! I wish I would have told you about the dome effect. Did you see people like whispering on the dome? That is because you whisper on one end and on the other end people can hear you. Pretty sweet :)

    ReplyDelete