Sunday 20 June 2010

Welcome back to the glamourous USA!

Leaving London was much like eating a sour gummy worm. Though, I feel I manipulated my time in "the square mile" fantastically. It was the perfect length of time to become apart of the city, become a little more of a responsible adult and have exuberance in everyday.
My flight from Heathrow to Detroit left at 9:15 in the morning (or 45 to the 10th hour of the day if I wish to be English). Which entailed I would make tracks with the road at 6. If I weren't crazy I would have gotten up at 5:59, but I am so I got up at 4:15 (at least that is when I think the alarm was set too... we all know that math and alarm clocks aren't exactly my forte). I felt like I needed to look somewhat adorable when I saw my sister for the first time. I wish my brain would have processed that it is in close proximity of impossible for anyone to look cute after traveling for lengthy amounts of time.
I am always hoping for the best and expecting the worst when it comes to airport travels. Especially internationally where they question you like you are the one who is stealing the cookies out of the cookie jar. After being deeply questioned about who packed my many large bags by multiple 'authoritative personnel' and frisked by woman who I believe are on a power trip and just want to take my expensive lotion away we were able to get through the various security checkpoints without a hitch. Of course we were already boarded the plane when they announced their would be a two hour delay. This made for a mind-numbing long flight.
I watched all of "Alice In Wonderland" and took a nap all before we truly began our journey west. As we flew across the pond I was served breakfast, lunch and multiple snacks. This so called breakfast was the strangest thing I have ever willingly put into my body. What was said to be a cheese omelette was more comparable to a grilled onion sponge. Strangely enough it was quite delish. Lunch was more normal and was served with the ice-cream I remember eating at friends when I was a wee child. You know the kind that comes in the plastic cup and has chocolate swirled into it and is packaged with a mini wooden spoon? It was that, and so soft and delicious. I wanted to eat the vegan girls next to me I loved it so much. I hated seeing her milk made heaven thrown into the trash untouched.
(yes these pictures are random, but who wants a bunch of words with no pictures to chop it up)
Okay, so I am fairly sure I stand alone in this next issue. As I watched the raved about movie Dear John on the mini screen that was less than five inches away from my face I became fantastically upset. I was surprised at how much the movie affected me in a negative way. The beginning of the movie was adorable, precious and all things lovely but once the middle was reached their was steam coming out of my ears. I was so irate at the ending. I won't say exactly what the final punch is because heaven forbid I ruin the ending to this awful movie. Ah, it made me so frustrated, I could seriously go on and on about it. I had to write a hate poem and then quickly turn on the beloved Valentines Day. I knew that was sure to fill my void of cheesy romantic movies and cure my bitter mood.
I wanted to worship the ocean below me every time I peeped out the window. Seeing the clear, glistening water dazzle in the golden rays of the burning sun gave me a strong desire to punch out the window jump into what appeared to be a whole new world. Lucky for you all I was raised better than that and knew that the whole new world I wished the jump would bring me to wasn't the one it would in fact take me to.

Landing in America was a stellar feeling. I couldn't help but sing "I am Proud to be an American". I sang until my eyes adjusted to what I was seeing. Americans, though not all of you, a vast majority of you disappoint me. Although it never really phased me while I was in Europe what great stye everyone really does have it hit me as I walked onto the gliding staircase that they, Europeans, do have great style while we, Americans, simply don't. The second I stepped foot onto American soil I became aware of why the world things our nation is fat. Way to many large booties bounced and jiggled all around me. I did notice in London especially but all throughout my trip that there were no obese people over there. If we happen to see and obese person we would automatically categorize them into the "dang-fat-Americans" group.

Brit Picked me up from the airport and I suppose my rising early to get semi dolled up somewhat payed off for she did compliment me."You look so cuuuute", I am pretty sure it is just what you do when you see someone you haven't seen in a long time. I believe she would have complimented me even if I had had the face of a werewolf painted on me. We went to Cafe Rio that night and it was as amazing as mana blessing the tribes of Noah.
Lesson I learned while galavanting the world: GO GREEN. Londonites might be the rudest people on the planet but I bet they at least won the first place award for 'greatest nation to recycle'. Every little nook and cranny I was complimented by recycling bins being filled by people who care about future generations. It is serious business over there, they don't mess around with those blue bins (which happen to be made of non recyclable material). So, with the help of the local London community I will now be implanting more "Go Green" ways in my American life.
Aubrey and I went to a super cute place for sushi while I was in Utah for a week. I was able to meet her old high school flame Sky. Sushi was great, we ate outside on the patio. There are rooms at the restaurant where you sit criss-cross applesauce on pillows. All of our time in London we tried to find a place to eat where we could do this. You better bet your bottom dollar that I will be booking a pillow room the day I get back to Utah.
I was in Utah for a week to help Shelley to move into her cute new apartment! I flew home with my Mom and am able to spend a few days down in the valley of the sun before heading out to California for my favorite week of the year. The week of Carlsbad California. We are there every year for the Fourth of July. The entire side of my mom's family comes to the beach and basks in the sun and does nothing more.
Last night was such a riot. A few of my girlfriends from high school plus Kelsey my London bff got together for some good clean fun.
Julie's dad owns a restaurant, he has a few catering vans. He was kind enough to lend us the classic white, no window, rapist looking van for the night. There aren't even seats in the back so the three of us girls just sat on the floor and laughed as we rolled around.
Lindsey had one of her classic masks in the car so we drove down to Mill Avenue and put it to good use. We drove along the bridge and stopped at people who were walking/sitting along the side. We just rolled the window down and barked at them and made noises as Julie drove slowly away. We got such a kick out of scaring people, I think they thought we were the crazy ones.
After barking at anyone and everyone we could find we decided to stop and walk the little strip of bars. We left the masks in the car but decided to play a game of who could get the most high fives from strangers. People again thought we were crazy, I am starting to believe them. Some people wouldn't give us high-fives and others would let our hands go. People are so interesting. A creepy, drugged up guy came up to Lindsey and gave her a hug. He held on a little to long and was resistant to letting go of her. When the freakishly tall man in the photo came up to him and pushed him and told him to get away he started yelling and throwing a fit. The cops then came and arrested him. One of the funniest, greatest moments. Love strangers who care about strangers. Also, love cops who don't mess around!
Love my life.
xo
em


No comments:

Post a Comment